Are you looking for a vegan, oil free, gluten free, plant based cheese sauce? I think everyone who follows the Starch Solution has their own version of this simple but delicious and versatile cheese sauce. So this may be new to you or a repeat. This is how I make mine but I switch it up literally weekly by adjusting my spices. Throw in a red pepper it it gives this a nacho taste. Add taco seasoning, Chipotle peppers, honestly, you can make this as plain or spiced up as you want.
Now this is not and I repeat is not going to taste just like cheese, but it looks like a cheese sauce, acts like a cheese sauce and for me and a lot of other people works as a great, low calorie Starch Solution replacement. I love this sauce and put it on everything!! I hope you enjoy it.
Vegan Cheese Sauce (Starch Solution)
- 1 1/2 cups potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup raw cashews(soaked or boiled with vegetables) this can be omitted if preferred
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- pinch cayenne
- 1 tsp white miso
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- Soak cashews overnight if using. If you have forgotten to soak your cashews you can boil them while cooking the potatoes and carrots.
- Peel potatoes and carrots and chop into bite size pieces. The smaller the pieces the faster they will cook. Boil in pot until tender.
- Transfer the potatoes, carrots and cashews(if using) to blender. Reserve remaining liquid. Add remaining ingredients including 1/3 cup of reserve liquid. Blend until smooth. If mixture is still too thick continue to add a tablespoon of liquid until you obtain the consistency you want. Adjust the seasoning to your preference.