This happens to be on of our favorite salad go to at the moment. Not only is it gluten free and oil free, it is chock full or protein, vitamins and minerals with a kick! Easy to put together in a new minutes if you have leftover quinoa, but quinoa is quick to whip up a batch.
This salad travels well, so take it along to the beach, picnic, or the next BBQ or pack it in your lunch or on your next trip.
Why you need to make this
- Easy and delicious to make
- Great for meal prep as it holds up well over a few days, in fact it gets better
- Full of protein from the quinoa and beans
- Gluten free, Vegan, Oil free and Starch Solution friendly
- It’s spicy, so it not an old boring salad
The key players in this dish
- Quinoa- is a complete protein and provides 8 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber
- Black Beans are tender and delicious and provide 8 grams of protein and 7 grams of fiber
- Silken tofu is easy to keep on hand in tetra boxes and provides 6 grams of protein, calcium and iron and no cholesterol
- Cilantro given this salad a true Mexican feel but if you don’t like cilantro, you can sub parsley
- Salsa verde it the true hero in this recipe and keeps the dressing to two ingredients because it pops a punch and it premade.
Mexican Quinoa Salad
- 1 medium pot
- 1 Large Bowl
- 1 cups quinoa cooked
- 1 cup corn, canned or frozen, thawed
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 plum tomato, chopped
- 1/2-3/4 cup cilantro, chopped or sub parsley
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1/8 cup pickled jalapenos, chopped (optional)
- 1/2-1 cup salsa verde
- 1 silken tofu
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot cook quinoa according to package directions. Allow to cool
- Once the quinoa is cooled, add all ingredients except for the silken tofu and salsa verde into a large bowl and toss to combine.
- In a blender add the silken tofu and blend. Add 1/2 cup salsa verde and blend together. I prefer mild salsa verde but if you like heat, use the hot. Add any additional salsa verde until dressing is smooth and pourable consistency.*I used silken tofu in the tetra box. I find it has a better flavor for this recipe.
- Add your tofu dressing, half to start and combine. Use as much or as little as you prefer. Leftover dressing is great for salad dressing, topped on tacos, or as a dip.