You know fall is here when soup becomes are regular on the menu. I’m a little weird because I love soup all year long. Yes, even when it’s 100 degrees out I’ll still have soup because I love it and doing the Starch Solution, soup is a good preload it your having the right ones.
This soup is a great preload, even though it has chickpeas in it. The clear broth, kale and sweet potatoes make up the bulk of this soup, so even if you omit the chickpeas, you still have a fabulous soup. Cumin and cayenne gives this soup such a lovely flavor with just mild heat. It is reminiscent of the Mediterranean with it’s fresh ingredients, chickpeas, kale and spices with fresh lime juice at the end for brightness.
Kale and Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 Dutch oven or Large pot
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups kidney beans or black beans chickpeas would also be great
- 3 tsp oregano
- 2 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp sea salt(to taste)
- 6 -8 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups sweet potato, chopped
- 4 cups kales, chopped bites size pieces
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- In a pot of dutch oven, add water or broth and saute the onions, celery and garlic for 3-5 minutes until the start to soften.
- Add the sweet potato, spices and add the broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover and allow the sweet potatoes to cook until tender. Just before the sweet potatoes are fully cooked add the kidney beans and kale and allow it to wilt.
- The last step is to add the fresh lime juice and serve.