This vegan, oil free pasta dish is filled with nutrients and flavor. You’ll never know that there’s no oil , cream or butter because it’s that luxurious. It only takes a few simple ingredients and about 30 minutes for this amazing dish to come together. Make a large batch because you are going to want leftovers tomorrow.
What you will need for this recipe
- Pasta of your choice, I love to mix it up and pick fun shapes
- Mushrooms, baby bellas are preferred but you can use button in a pinch
- Swiss Chard , rainbow or white swiss chard is great in this, you can use spinach as well
- Aromatics, onions and garlic, I think every great recipes starts here
- Vegetable stock, can, boxed or homemade
This is great served with a delicate tossed salad and some crusty bread and your done.
Great things about this dish
- Vegan, Oil Free, Plant Based and healthy
- Great for meal prep, it’s better the next day
- Just a few simple ingredients
- Everyone will love this, including your pickiest eater
Creamy Mushroom and Swiss Chard Pasta
- 8 oz Cavatappi pasta(or pasta of your choice) or Gluten Free Pasta
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 8 cremini or button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 2-3 cups Swiss chard or spinach, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 4 tbsp flour or gluten free blend
- 1 tsp poultry season
- 2 tsp thyme
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes(adjust to your preference)
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of well salted water to boil and cook your pasta according to directions on the package. Stop short by about 2 minutes as the pasta will continue to cook in the the sauce.
- In a large stock pot, water saute the onions and garlic. Add the mushrooms and allow to brown for about 3-4 minutes. Add water as needed to ensure they don't burn.
- Sprinkle the flour over the mixture and stir and cook the flour for a couple of minutes. Continue to stir. Add the vegetable broth and stir well to incorporate everything(you can use a whisk to get out any lumps) Continue to stir as the sauce thickens. Add in the spices and nutritional yeast at this time. If you have any lumps again you can use a whisk to get rid of any lumps.
- Drain your pasta and do not rinse, add directly to the sauce and then add the chopped swiss chard and allow the swiss chard to cook down 3-4 minutes. Adjust your seasoning. This would be also great with vegan parmesan or nutritional yeast on top.
- ** Instead of adding flour you can substitute a corn starch slurry by mixing 3 tbsp of corn starch and 6-8 tbsp of water. After adding the vegetable broth and allowing everything to cook for a few minutes but before you add the pasta. Bring the mixture to a low simmer and add the slurry and allow the mixture to thicken and then add the pasta and swiss chardYou can substitute Gluten Free Pasta to make this Gluten Free
As an Amazon Affiliate I earn a small amount from qualified purchases.